Jeff Epler wrote:
> No USB hardware is supported by emc at this time.
The card implements the USB CDC class (it lookes like a serial card to
the operating system with the usbserial modul). So i thought since
serial connection can be used it would also be possible to use the USB
counterpart.

>> I know that question one implies writing a adaper for the hal. I have
>> basic experience in xenomai programming. Would it be hard to implement
>> the usb board into emc?
>
> You'd need a very thorough, low-level knowledge of USB in order to make
> a USB driver fit the HAL model (hardware read and write takes place
> according to function position in HAL threads, not based on interrupts
> or DMA).  I don't even know whether this is possible.

I'm using the same setup (at least for the USB part) for controlling the
speed of up to three dc motor on a mobile robot with xenomai. I wrote
the USB firmware on the board by myself so USB knowledge shouldn't be
problem.
Writing the speed is just a matter of sending the correct codes via the
USB CDC (dev/ttyUSB0) interface, also the position can be read in this way.

So the setup will be like follows:
xenomai + rtusb -> /dev/ttyUSB0 -> (internally converted to i2c) -> 12
stepper motors with quadratur encoders.

I already looked at the emc2/src/hal/drivers directory out i only found
functions which write directly to a set of i/o pins. Isn't there any
function/example to directly write a speed or number of step ticks with
a frequency?

jan