Alfred Smart wrote:
>  Hello
> 1. Does anyone have a source of info that I can access to learn how and
> what I need for controlling a machine tool spindle?

I have what appears to be a very similar machine, mine is a Model 810
built in 1980. I have set it up with Gecko 320's and the original PS
rewired to produce 56 Volts.Currently it is running on EMC2 2.1.6 with a
fourth axis, coolant control, and spindle control. The EMC gang at the
CNC Workshop in Galesburg were instrumental in setting up the last two
items along with a second Par Port. Thanks again to Chris, Steve,
Jeff,and John for the big help.

> I have searched the net and came up empty.
> I have a Wells Index knee mill running Emc2 and the 80's vintage mill
> uses magnetic starters forward and reverse.
> I would like to explore spindle control for rigid tapping and I also
> would like to retro a lathe with Emc2.

You will need an encoder and connections for rigid tapping, check out
the Mazak setup. I use an extension/compression adapter for non-rigid
tapping which works just fine for my use. I also have a Hardinge CHNC
with no control as a retro candidate.

> 2. I am curious about double step that Jeff Epler came up with and how
> it has tested out using Gecko drives?
> My setup uses 28000 BASE_PERIOD and a 25000 INPUT_SCALE and it nets me
> 38 IPM.

My machine is running with an Athlon 700 processor through 2 Par Ports,
at 56 Volts I can get 72 IPM at a high acceleration with the Gecko's.
What speed processor do you use?