Wine and Virtual Machines are a bit different, although there is some
overlap.

Wine emulates a PC and allows you to run a single application by fooling
the application into thinking that Windows is there. As far as I know
Windows is not actually involved and no Windows license is needed.
Instead it emulates only the low level API that applications use to do
things.

Virtual Machines are like having a complete PC inside Linux. They create
an environment in which you can install Windows (or any other OS).
Windows thinks the PC is real, but the "hard drive" is actually just a
file in Linux. In order to run applications you need to install Windows
(or another OS) first, then the applications run inside this "guest" OS.

WINE is windows only. Virtual Machines can be used to run Windows or
other Linux distros.

If you are finished with the virtual machine you can simply delete the
files and it's gone. If you have enough RAM you can run multiple virtual
machines at once (think running Ubuntu on your PC with a Windows XP
virtual machine and a Fedora 8 virtual machine at the same time).

Virtual Machines share the RAM so you need at least 512MB of RAM for a
single virtual machine to run smoothly. More RAM for more virtual machines.

I'm not sure what the RAM requirement for WINE is, but it's probably a
lot less.

Andy

--
Andy