I checked out some treadmill motors rescued from defunct treadmills and
discovered they are really not reversible. Mine will run in both
directions but one direction the armature arcs more than the other
direction. A closer investigation of the motor showed that the brushes
contact the commutator at an angle. Sooo... My treadmill motor isn't
designed to run both directions. Maybe you are moving the brushes
backwards causing problems? I think the motor I have is only suitable
for the direction it is designed to run.

Maybe this will help...

Clint