Hi Aram

first look on the small gantry looks like this kind of gantry is only
suitable for pick and place applications, because this construction
is as we here called a lamb tail.
For cutting foam could be feasible, but for cutting more than wood
absolutely too windy (I guess, with pressing slightly sideways on the
tip of the z-axis, the whole position moves up to 1/10 inches).
I would recommend to use a steel frame and/or to reduce the Z-travel
way to a absolutely minimum, especially, if only used as engraving
machine.
Here a example of a more rigid construction http://stores.ebay.ch/
team-haase (similar construction are common).

Good luck with your machine!

Hansjakob R.