[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Just a quickie.
>
> Can anyone recommend a UK supplier of stepper motors and associated drive
> electronics?
> eg just add mill, and computer running EMC.
>
> Mill is a light / middleweight Pinnacle universal job, XYZ travels are 400,
> 180, 150 mm with
> quill head having separate raise / lower facility and rotation about X and Y
> axes too.
>
> Buying a DRO today with GS500 series glass scales (5 micron) from
> www.machine-dro.co.uk
> so will hopefully be able to use output from linear scales as direct input
> into EMC computer,
> (phase 2 of the upgrade) max rapid speed of the scales is allegedly vastly in
> excess of
> anything I could need, so don't need 740 watt steppers...  X table may weigh
> 200 lbs and
> perhaps another 150 for Y table, not trying to pull high G accelerations and
> a rapid of 300
> mm per minute would be double what I'd be happy with.
>
> On a budget of course (aren't we all) but definitely prepared to pay a little
> more for something
> not prone to glitches such as interference on power rails etc causing missed
> steps.
>
> Doing it this way appeals to me for two reasons.
>
> 1/ redundancy, can use linear scales with either EMC computer or standalone
> DRO at will.
>
> 2/ eliminates backlash and screw mapping etc, linear scales will measure
> actual position of
> tables and quill.
>
> many thanks in advance.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors
The 180Ncm will be big enough, and at £18.50 at the moment ...
The 3 Amp driver at £28.95 each are a good option for driving them, so for
under £150 you have all the grunt.
They will run direct off the parallel port, but a simple breakout board will
be useful, and all one is missing is some DC power. 35V at a few amps does not
cost a lot.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL