On Wednesday 13 February 2008 15:40, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> >I'm starting to suspect that EMC is a project that started out, not to
> > emulate the commercial equivalents, but built bit by bit to do various
> > things on the cheap, I'm starting to suspect that EMC is not a realtime
> > machine control system, but rather an offline (non realtime) simulator
> > that relies on assumption (I sent signals to move X 1.01 mm, therefore I
> > shall assume it has moved 1.01 mm)
>
> Actually, you have it backwards.  Many of the commercial controls are
> based on EMC2 code.  EMC was originally developed at NIST and was public
> domain.  It was part of a standardization project for machining
> languages, and was written as the reference implementation of the
> newly-developed RS274NGC standard.

Really ????

http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/kramer/pubs/RS274NGC_3.web/RS274NGC_3TOC.html

 Section 1.2.2
"RS274 is a programming language for numerically controlled (NC) machine
tools, which has been used for many years. The most recent standard version
of RS274 is RS274-D, which was completed in 1979."

 Section 1.2.3
"The NGC architecture has many independent parts, one of which is a
specification for the RS274/NGC language, a numerical control code language
for machining and turning centers. The specification was originally given in
an August 24, 1992 report "RS274/NGC for the LOW END CONTROLLER - First
Draft" [Allen-Bradley] prepared by the Allen-Bradley company."

Section 1.2.4

"In 1995 the EMC project collaborated with several industrial partners in an
open-architecture machine tool controller project known as VGER (a name, not
an acronym). This project retrofitted an SNK 5-axis machining center with an
open architecture controller. NIST provided the RS274 interpreter for this
project [Kramer4]. It was intended to be able to interpret some existing
programs for the SNK machine which were written for its former Fanuc
controller [Fanuc]. Thus, the RS274/VGER Interpreter took Fanuc flavored
RS274/NGC code as input."

>From that, and other references (both in assorted documentation and original
source code), I would conclude that the EMC interpreter does NOT conform to
any ratified "stansard" - It *may* be based on documented behaviour of a
common (in 1990-4) control system that *might* be compliant in part with a
recognised "standard".

 The current "extended" interpreter certainly does NOT conform to any
published standard (i.e. as issued by DIN, ISO, EIA, or any other official
body) - A subset of instructions may be compliant, but that is all.

As for the claim that "Many of the commercial controls are based on EMC2
code", that is stretching things a bit - Mach1/2/3/4 may have it's roots in
the original EMC interpreter, and there *may* be a few other hobby level
controls out there that appear to be similar.

> Although there is a simulator mode (something you won't find on any
> commercial control

You really should look at the current offerings from the likes of Heidenhain
and Seimens - I'm sure even the top end Fanuc controls would offer simulation
and/or preview modes.

> - why bother, nobody would buy one just to stick it
> on their desk), EMC2 is very much realtime - to the limits of the PC
> it's installed on.

Parts of the core code run in a realtime environment - For example, trajectory
planning, PID, and IO. Parsing of assorted files is non-realtime, done in
user space (unless someone has been screwing around with the code).

> It is used on machines from tabletop lathes to 20-ton machining centers.

I have EMC running on a desktop mill, but not emc2.

> There is no "hobby-class" controller that uses feedback.  None.

I fear you will lose a bet - Last I heard Mach3 can use feedback with a
suitable IO card.

> The least  expensive commercial controller I know of with feedback is in the
> $5000 range.

With the value of the US dollar being so low, $5K would be close. Certainly,
there are a number of commercial controls available on the market under $10K.

> Heh - "the emc coder".  EMC was developed by a few PhDs at NIST, then
> added to by about 20-30 developers over the last 10 years.

Odd that... There are over sixty names listed on the Sourceforge site. Perhaps
you would be so kind as to tell us who currently has access to the repository
(including anyone not listed at Sourceforge).