Jim,
> with these motors im not looking for step direction, i want to use
> stepgen to switch the 4 coils, thats why I'll use a higher step mode,
> like 5 or 6.  I was thinkin about just usin NPN transistors from the
> parport to switch the coils.  if i end up killin the parport by not
> usin optoisolators, big whoop ill use a different computer to play with.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the step mode, but using opto
isolators is simple. My motor controllers have built-in opto isolators,
the LED is connected with a resistor to the +5 V (I used an old USB
cable to get the 5V out of my PC) and the output of the opto isolator is
a simple NPN transistor that can be used to pull the input of the 'real'
electronics to ground or the (logic) supply voltage of your motor drivers.

You do have motor drivers? There is no way you can control them directly
from the parport.
> I run machines this size all day at work,
Good, I noticed that some guys may forget that a computer controlled
mill may suddenly change direction and/or speed while moving.
Breaking a cutter now and then is only econimical pain, but I keep
reminding myself that I should never try to remove any chips from the
workpiece while the machine is in operation.

> and it might even make some smoke and get rid of some of these old
> computers i couldnt turn down.
Remember: smoke is what makes electricity work and if you let the smoke
out of the circuits, they stop working :-D
> BTW, what kinda cutters you usin / breakin?  3/4 inch end mills can
> plow through quite a bit. :-D
The motor has a ER25 collet that holds max. 16mm (~0.6 inch) but the
motor runs from 1500 - 18000 rpm only so I'm not using more than 10mm
rough mills and 6mm end mills in aluminium.
Broken up to now: 2 and 3 mm solid carbide and 6mm HSS.

Regards,

Rob