It appears from previous posts, that the gantry is about 1.5 meters long
and rides on rails. What is the support/bearing mechanism for the gantry
to ride on the rails? In particular, if there are two or more supports
for each side of the gantry, how far apart are the furthest supports on
each side?

One of the problems with a gantry style machine is that unless you are
careful, the gantry will skew with respect to the other axis. Skewing
can cause uneven motion and/or distorted motion. There are a variety of
ways to prevent that.

For example, if the bearing supports for the gantry are as far apart as
the width of the gantry, the forces causing the gantry to skew are
resisted.

Another technique is to use a motor on each side of the gantry so that
the two sides are driven in tandem.

A third technique is to use a rack and pinion drive with a rack and
pinion on each side and a shaft connecting the two pinions. Then a
single motor can drive both sides at once.

There are engineering solutions to these engineering problems. A good
reference is some of Slocum's books/papers. You can google for them -- I
don't have a handy reference.

Ken

Kenneth Lerman
Mark Kenny Products Company, LLC