Aram,
What is the total travel distance of the grinding table?
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:59 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Cc: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Emc-users] Harmonic gear and EMC2. ????

I am building CNC tool grinder.
The feed for tool grinder should be from 0.00025 to 0.001 of the inch per
minute.
The servo motor must perform at this feed perfect to make a good grinding
job.
I will use direct drive and my ball screw has 5  pitch per inch.
So talking in degrees, 5 times 360 = 1800 degrees of revolution of motor to
get 1 inch for linear motion.

To get 1 inch need turn 1800degrees/minute of motor.
To get 0.00025 need  0.45 degrees/minute of motor.
Is this too slow?
I think so.
The one solution is to take high end controller and large AC servo motor and
that is expensive.

Jon Elson said about harmonic drive. I found here www.harmonicdrive.net That
gear can reduce up to 1 to 160. If I will put two side by side, it gives to
me 25600 to 1 reduction.
So 0.45degrees/minute times 25600 equal 11520degrees/minute, or 32
revolution per minute.
32 revolution per minute is good range to any AC servomotor and with 8192
pulse per revolution drive and EMC2 will have enough pulses to be accurate.

All harmonic drives have 0 backlash. One piece for NEMA34 cost $1500 and per
axis it is $3500 with special plates etc.

5 axis is $17, 500 is to gears a lone to make good CNC tool grinder.
I think it is very good idea!
Instead of making electronics part and programming more complicated ( and
not all can understand that part - I can not for sure) it is much better use
mechanical gear reducer and use less expensive and more robust drives and
software.

I am correct?
Aram