I have noticed that perhaps one time in five Linux will partially
shutdown during milling. It's a bit hard to describe but the Gnome
desktop is replaced with a text screen of what looks like the tail end
of the bootup sequence:

Operation  [OK]
Another operation [OK]
Running startup scripts in /etc/rc.local [OK]

There are no messages and EMC2 continues to generate pulses - which
cause the X and Y axis to move the spindle in a straight line. A quick
press of the power button turns off the power.

I booted and checked dmesg, user.log, syslog and messages. Nothing was
recorded to indicate a problem. The syslog only had the 30 minute marks
in it.

Any hints on how I can start to debug this problem?

I'm running EMC2 pre-2.2.0 and Ubuntu Gutsy.

thanks, Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864