Hi Greg,

You asked for it :-)

Greg Michalski wrote:
> If anyone would like to review and critique this Stepconf tutorial
> webpage before it goes live I'd love to have some input from those
> more knowledgeable and experienced than I.  Be *brutal* - I can take
> it. (Unless it's layout related - I'm still inept at web design - free
> 30 day trial of Coffee Cup's WYSIWYG app is enough glitz for me at the
> moment.  It's simple and cheap enough that I can run the 30 days and
> then purchas a copy of it).
>
> http://www.distinctperspectives.com/emc2installsetup/
>
> Greg
> www.distinctperspectives.com <http://www.distinctperspectives.com>

Thanks for creating the website pages. I have a few comments here. While
black background is good for the screen, especially for the monitors
with low refresh rate, it's going to be a problem for those who want to
printout you pages out.

In addition, If it was up to me I would break a single long page into
multiple pages linked from the main table of contents. That would make
it easier to find specific sections and expand into branches with
information on specific hardware and software later on.

Let me also comment on the section about the hostname or machine name as
it's called in your page. When it comes to hostname EMC version doesn't
mater. It's the RFC 1178 that describes Internet host names. Since
hostname is occasionally used by network utilities, connected to the
real network or not, it's highly recommended to use appropriate host
naming as it is described on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname

It would be good to tell or give a link to some page describing basic
Unix directory tree, terminal and it's use(fullness), etc. It is
important for the users to know where in the tree their home and EMC
files are: /home/<user>. If done properly, only some files and
directories would need to be backed up and that too would be nice to
have somewhere under the system and user administration.

I hope I did not discourage you too much. In general, the page is well
written and most people should not have hard time to follow the
instructions. I'm sure I'll use it when I "get that far". It's good to
know that it was created from a personal experience.

--
Rafael