For the XY axis:

First bore four holes in a rectangle as large as you can make it. You
want the rectangle to be close to a square to get the most accuracy from
this. Insert dowels into the holes. Now measure the lengths of the
diagonals using a caliper if you have one large enough.

If not, take a stick and bore a hole in one end to fit the dowels. Mount
the dial caliper on the other end. Use that to measure the difference in
length of the diagonals.

After that, it's all geometry.

The Z axis is a little more complicated because there are two issues:

1 -- Is the spindle perpendicular to the XY plane?

2 -- Is the Z axis travel perpendicular to the XY plane?

For the first, mount the indicator on a long arm attached to the
spindle. Rotate the spindle by hand and see how the indicator varies.
The amount of variation will tell you how far out of square the spindle
is. If you plan on drilling holes or milling edges of "square" blocks,
it must be accurate. If you are just carving with the end of a ball
mill, it might not matter as much. If you are drilling holes, this error
cannot be corrected in software.

For the second, mount a large cylinder with ends that are perpendicular
to the axis on the table (a cylindrical square). Put your indicator on
the Z axis and move it up and down, touching the surface of the
cylinder. Do this on the edge aligned with the X axis and on the edge
aligned with the Y axis. If you don't have such a square, you should be
able to make a reasonable one on a lathe. If you don't have a lathe, use
a plane square. You should be able to make an accurate square on you
router after you correct the XY axis.

In principle, misalignment of the axis motion can be corrected in software.

Whew. I hope I got all of the details right. If not, someone please
correct me.

Ken