  From: Chris Radek
  To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
  Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:01 AM
  Subject: Re: [Emc-users] R: New user new problem

  On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:33:00AM +0200, snoopy wrote:

  > Whit a collet I can do the change correctly, but I?m more happy if I
  > find an automatically zero tool procedure whit a switch/probe.

  http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cvs/emc2/nc_files/tool-length-probe.ngc?rev=1.4

  This Gcode program shows how I do that.  This sample file is also in
  the EMC2 distribution.
That was posted back in August and basically does what I was looking for in
automating the Z length at a tool change with a simple insulated pad mounted to
a fixed position on the table and connected to the probe input (basically a
piece of single sided PC board bolted to the T slots at a spot I don't really
use commonly but is available to the spindle centerline - single sided PCB
material keeps it insulated from the table so the tool touching can complete
the probe circuit).  By moving in the machine coordinate system (as opposed to
an offset coordinate system) the position is easily repeated, the Z zero of the
new tool calculated, and that dimension applied to the Z value converting it to
the new Z for the newly inserted tool, obviously you need to run it at the
start so the original tool length is saved as the initial reference to
correctly calculate everything from there on.

I haven't actually used it yet (been laid up with some medical issues and the
last thing I have had time to do is work on my hobbyist mill).  Others may have
additional requirements they are looking for but I really should have gone back
and canceled that request as this method solves the problem for me.  It may not
be as nifty as a GUI button to do it as a "Macro" but you can easily set the
code as a O code that you call when you run a tool change.  Not hard to insert
that into a .ngc file and then search for each M6 and add the O call
immediately following that before starting any more operations.

My .02 HTH YMMV :)

Greg
www.distinctperspectives.com