For clarification:  I'm new at this.. so please be gentle ;-)

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear..   If I need to provide
even more details please let me know.

I have "inherited" this system as a whole.  I have no documentation or
specifics about the machine other than it's model and what I can
observe from the chipsets on the driver boards.   It's a fully self
contained - enclosure and all.  I used to be controlled by an internal
computer system from a panel in the front with only basic x, y and z
speeds and directions.  The old computer has been removed, and the
whole system has been converted to a parallel BOB from Campbell designs:

http://www.campbelldesigns.net/breakout-board2.php  (I have the board
configured to use the N1 mode rather than the M1 or "Mach3" mode.)

The stepper boards are labeled as "chopper" boards controlled which
contain a L297/8 chip set connected to the original stepper motors.  I
have NO idea what the stepper motors are (like I said before.. no
documentation).

The Mill itself is basically a Sherline 5xxx series mini mill built
into an enclosure with a compartment in the back for electronics.

I currently have the system (to at least a "functional" degree)
working in Mach3 including spindle on/off, limit switches, and E-stop
(Spindle speed is manually controlled for now).

John, I'm with you.. I am VERY averse to doing the shotgun approach
since it usually leads to a "half-baked" system that doesn't really
work to its greatest potential.   However, in this case I don't see
that I have much choice unless there's someone out there that can help
me with the config.

Here's what I HAVE been able to do with EMC.

I was able to get the steppers moving by tinkering with the step time
and step space values (Step time is currently 2000, step space is
1000) but I doubt these are optimized since they seem to be moving a
bit slow in comparison to what Mach3 is doing.   When I try to speed
them up beyond about .05 velocity they start hanging up.   I'm not
sure where to find the step time and space settings from Mach3 so I
don't think I can just transfer them.

I am also able to sense limit switches in each axis, activate the E-
stop from the switch on the mill, and start/stop the spindle just like
I can in Mach3.

I have the X axis limits set: 0 to 7.325
Y axis:  0 to 4
Z axis 0 to -4

This all seems to work, although there are some minor homing and
limits mismatches that I'm still tracking down.   I did invert the
step direction signals on the x and y axis so that the tool on the
screen moves with the tool on the "on-screen" workspace instead of
opposite, and I'm still trying to work out what's going on with the Z
axis.  It homes to the top - so it thinks that's 0.  I would like z=0
to be at the top of the material so that z moves will be made in
relation to the top of my material rather than from the top of the axis.

This all, so far, has been "tinkering" in between demands from family
and work so I'm sorry if this is a little disjointed.

I would also like to be able to scale a G-Code sequence (You do this
in Mach3 by setting the "scale" setting on each axis).  I've read that
you CAN do this in EMC but can't quite find where/how.

Also,  Which interface would be recommended to give the most/best/
complete information?

Thanks much,

- Michael