BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
> To all,
>
>  Jim,
>> this is way beyond EMC support ... You need seek help for BASIC PC setup
>> elsewhere. However
>

> While this is true, many of the people coming to EMC are from a different
> planet (windoze) and learning to walk in a new land takes time and
> patience.  This very stumbling block has tripped many (see Dale Grover's
> comment regarding passerby's experiences trying to get it EMC working)
>
> I can appreciate Jims troubles.  I ran through 4 boxes, trips for memory,
> swapping cd roms learning how to read errors in the startup text and other
> by sheer bulldogging and this was for a hobby I was trying to justify to my
> wife.  I fortunately made a set of simple stars for christmas 2 years ago
> and my wife was pleased.  I figured that set of ornaments cost $1k.
>
> Learning IRC eventually got me the beginning of the answers to my numerous
> computer challenges.
>
>  It would certainly be nice to have a section of the wiki devoted to the
> Novice linux emc beginner.  Right now, I still find the Wiki a daunting
> place to find information.  Even lurking in IRC I am often humbled by the
> speed at which people can "get things working" like Optic's laser.  I would
> have probably spent 3 years getting there.
>
> I what I am suggesting is that if you are very savy with Linux, please be
> patient with us dozers - we are plowing out of a deep hole of mystery click
> and go has lead us into for 20+ years.
>
> Brian G.

I have no problem with helping others getting Linux up and running.
Linux, or GNU Linux, however has much more support elsewhere and people
should do a bit of search as most if not all has been resolved before.
The exception is RT kernel and some apps of course.

One thing that's most frustrating to many of us who are willing to help
is that people start with a request "HELP!" which of course is not
telling anything. Subject line should clearly state what the main
problem is.

For PC problems the following should be provided beforehand: motherboard
make, CPU type and speed, memory size, some info from BIOS, disk drive
type ATA or SCSI, same for CD drive, and anything else that might be
helpful, PCI cards, type, etc.

Many of used to help install Linux in person at home, office, or
installfests in early years of Linux. It's much easier to install Linux
these days. If you have too many problems it might be worthwhile to
contact "local experts" from a LUG or buy a book.

--
Rafael