I'm a hobby lathe user.  I've just converted my lathe and I'm looking into
software too.  I use Visual Mill for my mill, and I will have a closer look
at Visual Turn when they release the new version that uses the new VisualCam
engine.  It was promised to be ready at the end of last year, but I'm not
going to hold my breath.

In the meantime, I've been playing with Kenneth Lerman's GWiz
(http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?GWiz_-_A_Gcode_Wizard_Framework
).  My turning requirements are generally pretty simple, so I've been
building up a collection of simple turning wizards to turn, face, thread,
etc.  Originally I thought GWiz was going to be simple like the Mach
wizards, one shots, but GWiz works more like a conversational programming
tool.  This is a screen shot of what I've been doing.

http://www.franksworkshop.com.au/img_bin/gwiz.png

GWiz is still an alpha release, but it definitely shows promise.