Frank,
   I G04 dwell would do the same thing as what you do manually. How
critical is the squareness of the shoulder at the diameter of the
turned shaft? Do you need a very accurate corner radius? If you need a
VERY accurate corner radius you should use a smaller corner radius on
the turning tool and interpolate the corner radius on the shaft.
thanks
Stuart

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Frank
Tkalcevic<fr...@franksworkshop.com.au> wrote:
> I'm writing some gcode programs for my lathe and I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> I'm doing a basic shoulder, turning along the length of the work piece in
> the -Z direction to a point, then moving in the +X direction to make the
> square shoulder.
>
> 1) Should I be using one of the exact modes, G61 or G61.1?  What's the
> difference between Exact Path and Exact Stop mode?
> 2) When the tool reaches the corner, should I dwell to allow the work piece
> to spin so I can cut at this position around the entire circumference.  I
> assume I do this as a side effect when manually turning because I am so
> slow.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

you can lead a person to knowledge