Thanks Peter,

> rate sample rate yet, but this could be tried by using the raw-write command
> in your HAL init file. With a 5I20, the encoder sample rate is 33 MHz, when
> the filter is on, 15 clocks are required to recognize an input (the ~.5 uSec
> above) If for example the sample rate were lowered to 3.3 MHz, those 15
> clocks
> would now be ~5 usec, much better at eliminating PWM interference, and stil
> capable are reading encoder inputs up to ~400 KHz

How would I go about doing that? I'll start playing with chokes and
other filtering first. I prefer to stop noise rather than trying to
account for it in firmware. However it would be useful as a fallback plan.

> If you disconnect one side of the differential inputs, that input will likely
> not work as differential inputs have a 130 Ohm termination resistor and
> enough
> hyteresis that they will not switch when only one input is driven.

That is a pity. One of the great things about a balanced line setup is
that you can detect a broken wire.

> There is no
> encoder fault detection, that is better left to FE and PID saturation detect.

I am not convinced. For instance if the cable fails just as you stop of
while stopped, 'I' could easily drive the motor quite hard before any
fault is detected.

Les