Just some thinking out loud!!  Is it possible to put a rotation detector
on a spindle, use it as an input to EMC and then have EMC drive some
type of digital to analog converter to change the speed until it agrees
with the  desired setting?  Based on some past discussions on the list,
I believe the answer to be yes.  If so, what type of rotation detection
is needed?  What is the best way to convert the EMC output to be a
control force for the spindle?
  I am talking about a spindle on the X3 Seig Mill.  I am planning to
convert the current gear drive to a two range belt drive, and since the
current controller appears to use a pot to adjust the speed and a switch
to change direction I believe I could use some type of control voltage
and a relay to replace the pot and switch.  I would appreciate any
suggestions as I explore deeper.

Hubert