Gene
    So you have the X-1, I have an X-2 and X-3 also from Habour
Freight.  I am guessing the principles are the same but I will need to
check the implementation.  Specifically, I am interested in what you
connected to pins 1, 2 and 3 of PMDX-106's J2, the spindle signal
connector.  Specifically it states that pin 3 should not exceed 15 volts
or you use either a +5 or +10 volt PMDX supplied reference.  It looks
like the G540 has similar capabilities but it is limited to 12 volts
instead of 15.  I am surprised you say that the voltage across the pot
is ac, how could it be used a speed reference.  I guess if you hooked it
up as figure 7 it wouldn't matter.  I could see it as being AC
referenced to ground but not across the pot.  But if necessary I can
hook up my Tectronix purchased new in 1973 and use both channels in
differential mode.  I have also used them on a rubber mat with the 3rd
power wire isolated and scope grounded to the target machine.  I have
also been known to blow the internal ground connection of the scope when
I had both the 3rd wire connected and then grounded the scope to the
other device.  Experience has a way of providing very graphic examples
of what not to do.

    What I need to do is measure the maximum voltage that would exist
between pins 1 and 3 of the PMDX-106 or in my case  VFD ground and VFD
+10 lines of the G540.  It has two outputs ready to drive relay coils
sinking up to 1 amp from not over a 50 volt source.  This should be
sufficient to switch direction and power.  The only need I anticipate
for reversing spindle direction is for rigid tapping, I guess I need to
study how that works in EMC2.

Hubert