Some further thoughts.  On reviewing the available pin outs using the
G540 with four axis I have left available 4 input lines and 2 output
lines.  The VFD PWM output is already dedicated, as are the 4 axis step
and direction lines.  I want to reserve 3 of the inputs for limit/home
switches, so this leaves 1 for spindle input, thus I probably should
dedicate this to an index pulse.  I would then use one output as a
direction signal and the other as power on.  This gives me the option to
try stabilizing the spindle speed to that commanded and also use the
index as a sync pulse.  Since the direction is commanded by the computer
I already have it  available and use software to determine on which edge
to sync.  At this time this limitation applies to both machines.  Longer
term plans are for me to change to the Mesa 7I43 I/O card which I
believe will let me connect to the G540 and add feadback from all
planned 5 Axis plus the spindle.  (G540 = 17 pins, 6 Quadrature + index
channels = 18pins for 35 of the available 48).  I still have to learn
how much of this can be done with hostmot2 and whether I need to add
additional functions to the hostmot2 configurations to determine which
size of FPGA to use.  I think it will also allow me to use separate home
switches and possibly some control for a tool changer (dreaming).
Please warn me of pitfalls with this scheme.

Hubert