I do the similar thing in Debian with Openbox

* no gdm in my machine. You can disable it with rcconf or with
sysv-rc-conf or with update-rc.d

* In /etc/inittab

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin 38400 tty1

* /usr/local/sbin/autologin file as:

#!/usr/bin/python
import os
os.execlp('login', 'login', '-f', 'my_user_name', '0')

* add the followings at the end of ~/.bashrc
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
   startx
fi

* choosing the default x-session-manager and x-window-manager (as root)

update-alternatives --all

* add to following at the end of ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh file
to start EMC2
(sleep 5; emc) &

For fluxbox, use ~/.fluxbox/startup

acemi