On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:

> Michael Jones wrote:
>
>> Last night I finished the wiring phase of my project of replacing the
>> old Chopper Drivers and Vexa steppers on a D&M4S mini mill with a
>> Gecko G540 and KL23H284-35-4B stepper for the Z axis and 2
>> KL23H276-28-4B steppers for the X and Y axis.
>>
>> EMC picked everything up quite nicely - I still have to sort out the
>> charge pump.. but that's just details..
>>
> Did you start with the G540 sample config?  I'm pretty sure I included
> the charge pump in there.  (I just cleverly added a link to the
> G540.stepconf file to the wiki after noticing that it isn't included
> with EMC2:
> <http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?
> Advanced_Configuration>  )

I did start with the sample config.  According to the G540 docs, the
charge pump is on pin 16. Pin 16 is set for Charge Pump in EMC, but
the G540 won't come out of fault if the charge pump switch is ON.

>> I'm quite impressed with the
>> G540 and the new steppers.. they move FAST and QUIET.  The previous
>> incarnation of the system was moving at a top speed of about 9ipm for
>> cutting and maybe as fast as 15ipm for rapids (and that was on a good
>> day)  The new system is running up to 60ipm for rapids!
>>
>> All went VERY well with a couple of minor issues:
>>
>> 1) Moving fast is not an issue..going slow is.   I haven't completely
>> narrowed down where it starts having issues.. but it's around 5-10
>> ipm.
>>

> What goes wrong?  Vibration, stalls, loss of position ...

I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.. Almost that the motors are
stuttering.  Sometimes below around 5ipm the dro on EMC changes, but
the motor is not moving.