On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Alex Joni wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:47:48 +0200
> From: Alex Joni <alex.j...@robcon.ro>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Beagle Board
>
> BGA's sure are tricky, but you can solder them manually using a hot air
> system (seen a friend of mine doing it a couple times).
> the only problem is aligning them, that takes a bit of skill...
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Yeah, just build up a little corral for the chip with maybe 5 mils or so slop
on each side. (surface tension will bring chip into alignment when the solder
balls melt) liberally flux and apply hot air gun to back of card, no solder
paste needed. I wouldn't _ship_ anything done this way, but its OK for protos.
Also do the BGA(s) first so you can sight underneath the chip to check for
shorts...

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)