On Saturday 13 March 2010, dave wrote:
>On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 06:29 -0500, Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
>> >
>> >If you stick your hand past all the guards and manage to not tease the
>> >door sensors, it could mash your hand, that's about the worst it could
>> > do. An X-ray machine could be really dangerous to others, even at a
>> > good distance, if not properly shielded.  I think that makes quite a
>> > difference, especially to federal regulatory agencies.
>> >
>> >Of course, I have a modified toaster oven for relowing the solder on
>> >boards, a whole darkroom with laser photoplotter to make master artwork
>> >which I now use to photo-etch solder stencils.  And that's another
>> >thing, ****SOLDER****!  Yikes, having (Gasp) lead-bearing solder in your
>> >home, to hear some people talk you'd think it would turn your house into
>> >a superfund cleanup site.
>> >
>> >Jon
>>
>> Reminds me of how we used to play with mercury in science class in
>> school.  Now, if you happen to accidentally break one of those CFL
>> bulbs in your home, you're supposed to call the hazmat crew...
>>
>> Mark
>
>Elemental Hg isn't really very toxic at least compared to the
>organo-mercurials. If any of this stuff was as dangerous as some people
>would have us think we'd all be long gone.
>
>Benzene, toluene, methylene chloride, chloroform, trichloroethylene,
>asbestos, perchloric acid and a host of others were all part of my daily
>life. If you can smell benzene or toluene you are over the 8 hr limit.

Then I have been over my lifetime limit for some of that by orders of
magnitude.  And not because I thought it smelled nice either.  If it was as
bad as they claim, why am I still here at 75 YO? I shoulda been reduced to a
raving lunatic needing a liver transplant 60 years ago.

>The easy way to clean up mercury is to sprinkle elemental sulfur over
>the spill just like you would absorbent on an oil spill. Maybe rub it a
>bit to mix and wait a decent amount of time. Then sweep up and maybe
>finish with vacuum.

Good to know, but where can one find this elemental sulfur?

>Dave

Cheers, Gene

  Referring to a book: I read part of it all the way through.
  -Samuel Goldwyn