At 12:43 PM 3/28/2010, you wrote:
>The problem is that a lot of functionality in EMC2 and Axis needs to
>know the current position of the slides relative to the machine's limits
>of travel.  For instance, Axis displays the machine's limits on the
>screen.  EMC checks all programs against the machine's limits and
>reports and error if a program will exceed them.  The leadscrew error
>compensation tables are based on machine position.  All of this is
>calibrated by the homing function, and that means homing the machine to
>the exact same position every time.  Home switches are not that hard to
>install.
>
>So, using the home function to set home as a random location doesn't
>work.  It really needs to be the same position every time, and then you
>can set the machine limits based on that position.
>
>Then, the touch off function will relate a workpiece-relative position
>to the machine position.  When you then load a part program, you can see
>a box showing the machine's limits of travel, inside a box showing the
>workpiece's bounding box.
>
>Jon

Jon,

         The machine has separate home and limit switches on both
axes, and both homing switches are working correctly.  See my
response to Dave.  I got touching off working over the weekend after
some changes to my ini file.  Not sure if that was the cure, but it
seems to be working correctly now, so I'm happy!

mark