Hi guys;

I finally had to give up last night turn off the lights & monitor and quit
for the day.  The computer got so sluggish I couldn't get anything done
although the emc background would keep running for a minute or so after I
stood on the esc key.

My program is only about 70 lines of code & makes heavy use of a subroutine,
and the repetitions are about 450 calls to this subroutine.  I originally
took emc about a minute to prescan that, but every time I did a reload
because I'd fine tuned something about a thou, it got to noticeably pausing
many times during the reload and when I left last night, it had been paused
doing the scan for about 15 minutes.

This morning I log in with ssh and looked at it with top, and axis is using
44% of the memory, but x, the heaviest cpu pig is at 9%, and it feels good
again.  So it might have completed the prescan.

This is the 6.06 lts kubuntu, 384 megs of ram on a 1.6 ghz athlon box.
emc-2.3.something.  Last updated after replacing the psu a month or so ago.

Anybody have any clues?  If I can get it to run back to 0,0,0, I'll reboot.

--
Cheers, Gene

Let sleeping dogs lie.
                -- Charles Dickens