On 5 April 2010 13:38, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> A) Is it safe to interrupt Motor Power to my 7i40s, with hairy great
>   inductive motors on their outputs? (OK, mostly resistive under load,
>   but then back EMF might also be deadly if V+ is open-circuited?)

I don't know how relevant this is to your situation and the 7i40s but
I found that an effective way to prevent relays exploding on my
Robotwars robot (3 x 24V 750W motors, peak current 300A) was to wire
conventional (and inexpensive) bridge-rectifier modules into the
circuit with the AC terminals across the motor, and the +ve and -ve to
the batteries. That way any voltage > Vcc + 0.6V is shunted back into
the supply lines.

--
atp