On 8/29/2010 9:49 PM, Colin Kingsbury wrote:
> <snip>
> Essentially, I think my question boils down to whether I understand HAL
> correctly as being the source of truth for both my physical keypanel as well
> as for the GUI, or whether the GUI thinks it's the only thing affecting
> machine state?

EMC2 was designed with the idea in mind that there are always more than
one possible control sources. That means you can run multiple GUIs and
each will update emc2 status (which is shown in all GUIs).
so if you push a button on the HALUI (HAL User Interface) the result
will be visible on all the GUIs (including AXIS and HALUI itself).
That said you should remember that the multiple control means you don't
want exclusive control items: potentiometers, on/off switches, selection
switches, etc, but rather momentary control items.
Instead of a potentiometer for feedrate override use an encoder - that
way when the GUI changes feedrate override the potentiometer doesn't
show something that isn't accurate.
Likewise for on/off switches (if it's a momentary toggle button, then
it's ok, but you need some extra HAL components: as it is now halui
takes a button for coolant-on and coolant-off - both momentary
pushbutton entries).

With pyvcp you can build a sample control and simulate everything you'll
lateron physically wire at the machine, so that you can prove beforehand
that it works as you expect it. There is a sample config where there's
almost a complete GUI using pyVCP.

Regards,
Alex