if there are many index signals during motion, then use a 'near home'
swx to identify which one and home in one direction
the 'near home' switch should reduce the velocity so the index is reliable.
i used a 90 to 1 gearing on a 3R Caxis with a prox switch and dog to
identify which of 90 indexes was the correct index.
the dog was simply a sheet metal flag on the rotating bit, the prox
was in a hole thru the outer casting
keep the index in center of any dog to dog cycle
hth
tomp