On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> Thomas Powderly wrote:
> > if there are many index signals during motion, then use a 'near home'
> > swx to identify which one and home in one direction
> > the 'near home' switch should reduce the velocity so the index is
> reliable.
> > i used a 90 to 1 gearing on a 3R Caxis with a prox switch and dog to
> > identify which of 90 indexes was the correct index.
> > the dog was simply a sheet metal flag on the rotating bit, the prox
> > was in a hole thru the outer casting
> > keep the index in center of any dog to dog cycle
> >
> We are talking about a spindle encoder here, and the special case where
> the actual spindle
> is pretty much inaccessible to mount an encoder.  I solved this in my 1J
> Bridgeport head
> by putting 3 gear-tooth sensors inside the head to effectively turn the
> bull gear into an encoder
> disk.  Some other Bridgeport heads make even this scheme hard to do.
> Igor has a way to
> access a shaft that is at the input to the back gear mechanism, so it is
> either 1:1 with the spindle
> or turning at a faster speed but with a fixed ratio.  So, the original
> problem returns, that it would
> be hard to get a once/rev sensor directly on the spindle.  If he was
> going to go to the trouble of
> doing that, he might as well put 3 in there and make it an encoder.

It would appear that the index count is only necessary if I want to re-tap
an existing hole, so I do not really care too much for it.

If I have the exact ratio of back gear, I would be just fine using the
gearchange component, it appears.

I am working on 4th axis right now, but once I am done, I will work on the
back gear.