I have a Saitek P880 joypad. It works REALLY great to do the following:

1) Control X, Y and Z with joyhandles (little levers sticking out of the
joypad)
2) Make some buttons like input.0.btn-pinkie to control HAL pins to give HAL
pause and resume commands.

The nice thing is that depending on how much I deflect joyhandles, the speed
of movement is selected accordingly.

Unfortunately, I used both joyhandles and have no more of them available.

For two more axis, I would like to use regular joypad buttons (not
joyhandles) to tell the axis to move forward or back with predetermined
speed.

kind of like (incorrect)

net moveAAxisLeft input.0.btn-top2 => halui.move-axis-A-left

In other words: when I press a certain button, I want a given axis to start
moving in a given direction at a predetermined speed. When I release that
button, I want movement to stop.

How can I set that up.

thanks