I'm thinking more about manual gear changes. Thinking about two parts to
it -- one a user-space program similar to hal_manualtoolchange which
runs in the background until needed, and the other a hal component
running in the servo-loop.

The user program would receive an array of gear ratios and motor speed
changes from the ini file, and it would look for spindle speed changes
from axis. When one is seen, it would determine the needed gearbox
setting and motor speed. If needed it would set the appropriate hal pins
to stop the spindle, display a dialog for the operator to change gears,
then set needed hal pins with the new motor speed, active gear ratio, etc.

The servo-loop hal component would do any needed scaling, monitor the
motor speed and direction, and set the at-speed indication. In my case
there is an encoder on the motor but not the spindle, so it would scale
the encoder speed and position outputs by the gear ratio.

I have no problem writing the code for these. But does anyone see any
gotchas before I dive into this?

Thanks.

Karl