Andy, Kirk, Chris, Kyle,

Thanks for the replies and info. Combining my response into one post to
avoid clutter...

The relay contacts are coming into a Mesa 7i37 board. My concern is both
from glitches and contact bounce. One of the inputs is the "reset" line,
which indicates the hardware is finished with the current operation. A
glitch could cause it to pick up the wrong tool. If this happens once
per hour or once per day, it could be a bear to troubleshoot later on so
I'd like to give it my best shot now while it's all fresh in my mind.

Debouncing with a capacitor might just work. I'll do some testing.

I have the debounce logic written without any loops. It checks the input
state every thread cycle and keeps a tally. The output changes only
after the input has been at a different state for at least the debounce
period.

Karl