gene heskett wrote:
>   Ed Nisely had
> an article in CC some time back where he used a toaster oven for that,
> IIRC.
I also do production work with a toaster oven!  I have a ramp and soak
temperature
controller from Omega, and found the best control was to poke the
thermocouple
into a plated through hole in the board to sense actual board
temperature.  If I try
to sense air temperature, the boards get burned black.

This works amazingly well!  The REAL trick, however, is getting the
right amount
of solder.  I use 3 mil stencils (~.075mm) photo-etched from brass shim
stock.
For fine-pitch ICs, you have to cut down the size of the apertures WELL
below the
pad size.  If a little too much solder is there, you get bridges.  With
just a little
more solder, the whole chip lifts up on a moat of solder and floats out
of alignment.
That is a MAJOR mess to rework.

For the chip-scale packages with no exposed leads, you get a lot of
shorting under
the chip where you can't inspect.  This is a major pain to debug and
rework, so after
one HORRENDOUS experience with 64 of those parts per board, I have avoided
that type of package.

Jon