On 1/4/2012 6:41 AM, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 06:33 AM, Les Newell wrote:
>> That is a good article. I do most of that apart from changing the I/O
>> scheduler. For reliability I leave journaling on.
>>
>> Les
>>
> Yep, but the journaling will eventually eat your disk up.  It's a
> trade-off.  Longevity of the device vs reliability of the OS.
>
> Mark

Gentle persons:

There's two different phenomena going on with SSDs. Let's not confuse them.

On the one hand, there is the well-known and understood problem that
they have limited write endurance. It is easy to compute a useful life
knowing your disk usage pattern and taking precautions such those in
the referenced article (which info was already covered on our Wiki three
years ago thanks to Les, by the way, albeit hidden under Installing to
Compact Flash). IMHO this can not be considered a reliability issue.

On the other hand, there is the evolving and poorly understood problem
of premature failure (e.g., failure well before expected from cycle
wear-out or manufacturer's claimed MTTF/MTBF). It is impossible to
compute a useful life against these failures, which occur for a variety
of reasons. IMHO this is exactly the reliability issue.

Again, I recommend reading at least the Tom's Hardware summary
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-3.html
It draws on collected experiences with hundreds and thousands of SSDs.

Bottom line for me: I use one for a variety of reasons---size, power,
speed, physical toughness---and I take precautions knowing it will
inevitably fail before I expect it to.

Regards,
Kent