Some kernel mode display drivers can make X fail to start if they don't
find a monitor. See this page
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting> so see how to turn off KMS
for your driver. You will have to create an xorg.conf to manually
specify the driver and monitor.

I had to do this for my headless network server.

Les