I would like to dynamically change the flow rate of material feed of my
plastic rapid prototyper. The material is dispensed by a step motor on the
A-axis. A is running proportional to the combined speed of X and Y (always
counting up) . The scale factor for A is set at the G-code generation, it is
almost on target but I would like to tweak it slightly. So I try to change
stepgen.3.position-scale with a potentiometer.

net flowrate stepgen.3.position-scale <=  input.0.abs-rx-position

This is not allowed, "stepgen.3.position-scale" is a parameter, not a pin

I try manually while running:

setp stepgen.3.position-scale  210   (it was was 200 before)

This immediately gives a "joint 3 following error" even for a very small
change.

Can I work around this?

Is there a better way to do what I want to do? (Hope so!)