2012/1/20 Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>:
> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 17:32 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Viesturs Lācis
>> <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, folks!
>> >
>> > I would appreciate some advice or insights, what am I doing wrong.
>> >
>> > What I want to do is to switch on and off a power to laser engraver diode.
>> > It needs 12 VDC supply and it consumes ~1 A currrent.
>> >
>> > Here is schematics of what I currently have:
>> > http://picpaste.com/DSCF6164-vX7heUEq.jpg
>> >
>> > The problem is that it is not working:
>> > Voltmeter was showing +12 VDC on both leads, going to laser module all
>> > the time, regardless if I had turned the output pin "true" or not.
>> >

>>  What is the voltage of the 'low' state? could it light up the LED?
>>
>> As Steve said, your resistor is in the wrong place. I'd put it on the
>> collector of the phototransistor.; then, the base current of your power
>> transistor would be (12V-0.7V-0.7V)/R; assuming the power transistor beta
>> is 20, you'd need 50mA, i.e. the resistor must be 200 ohm.
>
> Just to add my two cent's worth, see attached (if it makes it):

Thank You, guys!

Kirk, I repasted Your scheme here:
http://picpaste.com/scheme-3V0w43QM.png

Do I understand that includes also Steve's and Przemek's sugestions,
if R2 is 200 ohm?

The optoisolator is 4N25, the transistor is BD139.

Gene, I think that I have spare 330 or 470 ohm resistors to replace
the 1K ohm R1, I will try to test it.

Viesturs