On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:56:32 -0000, you wrote:

>Oh dear - I am just discovering how little I understand.

Your not on your own John!!  EMC, or should I now say LCNC, is written
and annotated by Linux gurus who unfortunately think everyone is at the
same guru level as them!

Beware - of these gotcha's

No jog in feedhold! -  So don't break an insert or get a swarf ball
around a tool!!!

Taper thread pitches are measured along the hypotenuse ???

There are others, but those are two show stoppers for me...

I only use EMC, or whatever you want to call it, for turning jobs where
screw cutting is involved, everything else I do with a really old
version of Mach. Credit where credit's due - Parallel screw cutting is
flawless.

Unfortunately any changes to EMC only happen if you can do it yourself
even when you can prove it's sensible or Industry standard. Committee
member ego's seem to overrule standards or common sense.

Explains really why it's still a niche application with so few users...

Steve Blackmore