For those following this thread, just a reminder of what I think
Viesturs has.

eBay laser with controller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-808nm-800mw-Infrared-Focusable-Laser-Diode-Module-Cutter-w-TTL-/180781956841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1771bee9#ht_2189wt_1080

Short URL: http://alturl.com/9t7fg

Peak Wavelength              :  808 nm
Color                        :  Infrared
Visibility                   :  INVISIBLE
Diode Beam divergence        :  12/100 deg.
Emitting area                :  50 x 2 µm
Module Output Power          :  800 mW
Diode Output Power           :  1000 mW
Modulation                   :  TTL
Max. Modulation Frequency    :  20 KHz
Focus Range                  :  1 inch to 5 inches
Warm Up Time                 :  < 1 Minute
Power Stability              :  %5, 20 minutes
Spectral Line width          :  <10 nm
Operating Current            :  1300 mA
Operating Voltage            :  9-12 Vdc
Laser Diode Cooling Mode     :  Aluminum Heat Sink
Driver Cooling Mode          :  Aluminum Heat Sink
Expected Lifetime            :  5000 hours
Power Supply Required        :  9-12 volts DC 1.3 Amp
Applications                 :  CNC Cutting, Material Processing,

http://www.listingfactoryhost.com/users/kerimkale/eBayAuctions/346554dgf/images/DSCN6716_360697722_thumb.jpg

Short URL: http://alturl.com/fynsz

http://www.listingfactoryhost.com/users/kerimkale/eBayAuctions/346554dgf/images/DSCN6705_865650630_thumb.jpg

Short URL: http://alturl.com/j4aof

I suspect the power to the laser driver just needs to be switched as an
Enable, with the driver's TTL input modulated by PWM/PDM to turn the
bean on and control the strength.

I have zero experience with lasers, so grains of salt are recommended.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html