On 6 February 2012 05:54, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> Obviously I have to use G92 to install the Z offset that compensates for
> the drill length, that is unavoidable from my reading.  I have no lengths
> in my tool table since I'm using a drill chuck, making those lengths
> arbitrary and requiring I G38.2 to find this out after every tool change.

I don't think that is obvious at all. In fact I think that G92 is the
wrong way to do this, and the tool table is the right way.

I would suggest that what you should do is use your probed length to
set the tool-offset (G10 L1 or G10 L10, and G43) and use the
hole-finding routine to set the coordinate system origin (G10 L2, or
G10 L20)

The purpose of G92 is mainly to put a duplicate shape somewhere else
on a workpiece, as I understand it.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.