gene heskett wrote:
> Hi Guys;
>
> I just broke my last brand new 1/16th carbide end mill in about 15 minutes
> running time, a 4 flute with about 1/2" of working length, trying to get
> started on another alu encoder wheel, getting about 80% of the way around
> the outside, running at 2500 revs, and 1.5 ipm, cutting only .005" deep,
> running in a puddle of cutting oil.
>
> Obviously the 4 flute is a no-no in soft alu as it was pushing alu ahead of
> itself for 90% of what it did cut which tells me it was half plugged after
> the first 1/2" of feed in that heavy duty (0.0037" thick) coors can alu .
> Filled up the flutes nearly instantly even if it was swimming in cutting
> oil.
>
> So, I need to find a more suitable mill for this, I assume only 1 or 2
> flute, and maybe only 1/8" of working bit.

You ought to be able to do this.  I use water-based coolant.  The trick
is to keep the
WORK cold, and I do mean COLD where the cutting is going on.  You should
up the feed rate and/or make it in several passes, stepping down in Z
each pass.
1.5 IPM is way too slow.  At 2500 RPM with 4 flutes, that is 10,000
cutting edges
per minute.  So, each tooth is only cutting .00015", which is WAY too small.
My McDonnell-Douglas slide rule suggests a .00062" feed per tooth, so
that would be 6.2 IPM.  You should only plunge 1/32" per pass with a 1/16"
cutter (half the tool diameter).

I use a 4-flute cutter in aluminum ALL the time, rarely use a 2-flute.
You should be climb milling, this causes much less rubbing and therefore
heat
generation.  Climb milling causes the cutter to plunge directly into the
un-cut
material, conventional milling causes the cutter to slide across the
already-cut
surface until there is enough pressure to penetrate it.  That rubbing causes
heating of the workpiece, which makes the aluminum soft.
> Since I don't have a 10,000 rpm spindle, 2500 is it, what mill should I
> buy, and how fast can I feed it?  Or am I doomed to go find some harder
> sheet alu that cuts cleaner and won't plug up a mill?

Just keep it COLD, and it will cut fine, as long as it isn't 1000
aluminum or
something meant only to feed into an extruder.  That's the beauty of
water-based
coolants, the evaporation of the water really cools stuff off.

Wait, you're only cutting .005" deep per pass???  WHY?  I might tend to go
a bit less than half the tool diameter, but that is too conservative even
for HSS, and way too conservative for carbide.  If you insist on such small
Z plunge, you should be cutting this at 20 IPM or something!

I don't have much experience with 1/16" carbide end mills, but use
1/8"carbide
4-flute mills as one of my most standard cutters for .060 - .125" aluminum
panels.  I frequently run a whole day on one cutter.  And, I do it usually
at about 2800 RPM.

If the wad of aluminum around the cutter develops, you are already sunk,
you have to avoid the softening of the material.

Jon