From: gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Need advice on 1/16" end mill
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 7:50 PM

On Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:36:58 PM doug metzler did opine:

> I've had good luck with the high-spiral (aluminum specific) 2-flute
> cutters, but have not gone below 1/8"  The cutters only have about
> 3/8" of cutting depth.  Something like McMaster 8829A12?
>
> DougM

I found the 1/16" version, but at $35 a copy, nope.  8515A21 is still
$12.50 copy.  Supposedly their best TiCN coated stuff.

I'll ring up Hemlytool tomorrow & see what they have.  I've always gotten
decent tools at a decent price from them.

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys;
> >
> > I just broke my last brand new 1/16th carbide end mill in about 15
> > minutes running time, a 4 flute with about 1/2" of working length,
> > trying to get started on another alu encoder wheel, getting about 80%
> > of the way around the outside, running at 2500 revs, and 1.5 ipm,
> > cutting only .005" deep, running in a puddle of cutting oil.
> >
> > Obviously the 4 flute is a no-no in soft alu as it was pushing alu
> > ahead of itself for 90% of what it did cut which tells me it was half
> > plugged after the first 1/2" of feed in that heavy duty (0.0037"
> > thick) coors can alu . Filled up the flutes nearly instantly even if
> > it was swimming in cutting oil.
> >
> > So, I need to find a more suitable mill for this, I assume only 1 or 2
> > flute, and maybe only 1/8" of working bit.
> >
> > Since I don't have a 10,000 rpm spindle, 2500 is it, what mill should
> > I buy, and how fast can I feed it?  Or am I doomed to go find some
> > harder sheet alu that cuts cleaner and won't plug up a mill?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene>
> > A man usually falls in love with a woman who asks the kinds of
> > questions he is able to answer.
> >                -- Ronald Colman

Cheers, Gene
And do you think (fop that I am) that I could be the Scarlet Pumpernickel?