Am 09.03.2012 um 02:51 schrieb Jeff Epler:

> The responses in this thread seem to have been pretty heavily in favor
> of moving to self-hosted service.  The board will soon start on the
> behind-the-scenes work to make this a reality.
>
> We've looked around for mailing list archive software that is better
> than the basic mailman one (something that is searchable and makes
> reading a whole thread easy) but haven't turned up any good options.
> Is anyone aware of software in this area that we should consider?

the search part need not necessarily be part of such a package

Pavel and I run the searchable IRC log (http://linuxcnc.mah.priv.at/irc/,
http://psha.org.ru/irc/)
which uses Xapian as a search engine:

http://psha.org.ru/cgit/psha/ircsearch.git/ (search UI)
http://psha.org.ru/cgit/psha/logbot/ (the data collector)

This uses just a minimal xapian query interface, it is much more powerful than
that

Xapian seems to be widely used as mailing list search engine:
http://xapian.org/users

--
unfortunately that doesnt solve the 'decent thread reading' requirement

-m