On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, lloyd wilson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:32:27 -0400
> From: lloyd wilson <llwilso...@rochester.rr.com>
> To: Emc mail list <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] torque-velocity questions
>
> We are investigating using my favorite cnc controller for an application
> which will require as much stiffness as we can arrange; websearching
> suggests that torque mode rather than velocity mode is preferrred in
> such applications. We are using a Pico PPMC interface set to mediate
> between the computer and a Parker Aries amp/motor combination (+/- 10v
> control input, 2000 line encoder, vendor rep loaded any requisite motor
> parameters into the amp).  We finally have the system so it doesn't
> immediately fault on a following error, but only in velocity mode; we've
> been totally unable to generate a set of PID parameters that are viable
> when the amp is set to torque mode. Ergo, it's guru time-
>
> 1 - is there some inherent incompatibility between Linux CNC and torque
> mode servos?

No, but a torque mode PID loop is also responsible for velocity control. This
is handled by a separate high speed loop in your drive when your drive is in
velocity mode. A Torque mode PID loop often needs to to run at a higher sample
rate than a PID loop controlling a velocity mode drive. That is to say
LinuxCNCs 1 KHz default servo thread rate may be marginal for a torque mode
drive (not enough phase margin for the D term).

Also because a torque mode PID control loop depends so much on the D term, its
helpful if the velocity feedback is a good as possible. I'm pretty sure the
PPMC has velocity estimation (as opposed to plain old crunchy dp/dt)  in
its encoder counter/driver, but you need to connect the velocity estimate to
the feedback-deriv pin on the PID component to make use of this better
velocity feedback.

> 2-  is there some deeply buried config parameter that needs to be changed?

Not that I know of (other that using the velocity estimate instead of the PID
comps default dp/dt) but torque mode PID tuning is  different and
somewhat tougher to do that velocity mode tuning (IMHO).

> 3-  can somebody point us to a strategy specifically oriented to tuning
> torque mode servos?

Well I'm sure there are some good tuning tutorials...

But from memory this is what I have done with torque mode drives:

first I would do step response plotting and then alternately bump up P till it
overshoots on a step and then bump up D till you regain a little less than
critical damping and then repeat bumping both up to the point you can no
longer make it stable with more D. Then back P and D off a little till its
stable for the next step.

Next I would adjust FF2 by doing a controlled move at say 1/2 the accel
capability of the motor/drive/load and adjust FF2 to null the error during
accell/decell.

Similarly I would adjust FF1 by doing a long slew at perhaps 1/2 of the
machines maximum speed and nulling and error during constant motion.

At the end I would add I term until the drive becomes unstable (jog while
adjusting to make sure you notice when it becomes unstable) and then reduce
the amount of I term to about 1/2 the value that caused instability.

> 4-  any other ideas?
>
> as always, thanks in advance - this community never stops astounding me
> with its knowledge and its willingness to share
>

> lloyd

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)