> 1 - is there some inherent incompatibility between Linux CNC and torque
> mode servos?
> 2-  is there some deeply buried config parameter that needs to be changed?
> 3-  can somebody point us to a strategy specifically oriented to tuning
> torque mode servos?
> 4-  any other ideas?

Here are some tuning-graphs I did in 2008.
These are for brush DC-servos with Pico PWM drives and a Mesa 5i20
card with 4 kHz (IIRC) servo-thread.
If I understand correctly these PWM-drives are "voltage-mode" which is
neither speed nor torque, but the graphs might be instructive
anyway...
http://www.anderswallin.net/2008/04/pid-tunig/
http://www.anderswallin.net/2008/04/x-axis-test/

Someone should make a PID-tuning utility that makes it super-easy to
capture these HALScope screenshots together with the PID-parameters
used. I think we might see more logs of these tuning sessions on the
interwebs then...

Anders