On May 16, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Jeshua Lacock wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I now mostly have my new Pico System's Universal Stepper Controller (USC)
>> and Gecko Interface working with my Gecko 320 drives.
>>
>> When I first got it going, my X and Z drives "jumped" repeatedly until I
>> turned the damping up. But my Y drive keeps "jumping" even with the damping
>> and gain at max. I tried various combinations of gain and damping, but no
>> matter what I do (unless the limit is set to all but off) I can't seem to
>> get the Y drive to dither.
>>
> Does it do this jumping if you hit F1 (out of E-stop) but not F2 (machine on)?
> If so, then there must be something wrong with the encoder signal path
> through the Gecko Interface.

Hi Jon,

Yes, and you are correct, I apparently had the A/B signals crossed somewhere.

I can now command all three axises to move in the closed loop mode!

However, in open loop mode, without power to the servos it is stable and works
as a DRO. In open loop mode with power on I see the DRO jitter around +/-0.0005
which I assume is normal dithering behavior. But shortly after I hit F2 I get a
fault and error message "joint following error X".

I assume I need to increase the error tolerance? Any idea why this only happens
in open loop mode?

> If not, then it is a servo tuning issue in LinuxCNC,
> not in the Gecko drive.  You do have to tune these servos.  When you say it
> jumps, does in move some distance and then trip a fault on the Gecko or
> following
> error in EMC?  If so, the OUTPUT_SCALE parameter in the [AXIS_1]
> section of the .ini file may need to be flipped to the opposite sign.
> If it is just rough, turn the P parameter down in that section.  Then, you
> need to do the whole tuning procedure.  See the writeup in the wiki
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PWM_Servo_Amplifiers

That will prove to be very useful for the next saga!

> This was written for my PWM servo amps, but all the same info applies.
> You need to get familiar with Halscope, if you aren't already, and observe
> the response of the system to jog commands.  If you get stuck, you
> can send me a screenshot of the halscope screen and I'll try to interpret
> what is happening.

Great, thank you!

Best,

Jeshua Lacock