On May 23, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

>  I think a very simple circuit, largely analog plus some one
> shots and
> a logic gate could do it.  Probably 3 chips per axis.  Some RC feeding an
> opto-coupler, a 74HC123 and a gate package.  If the output to the motor
> exceeds some value (maybe 5 V) for some short time, and there are no
> pulses on BOTH encoder signals, that is a fault, and it trips the E-stop.
> Parts cost should be about $3 per axis, in single quantities.

Hi Jon,

Sounds perfect! Sign me up!

;)

Would you be interested in designing and building me a few? Just let me know
what it might cost (on or off list is fine with me).

I don't mind paying to develop it and you could open source the schematic or
keep it to yourself.

The only other solution (more of a work-around really) I have been able to
think of is before I power on the servo PSU check to make sure the DRO is
working, then power on. Then when the machine is on, the HAL settings provided
by Andy would detect if a encoder goes offline while running.

Certainly not as ideal as a automated install and forget system in place, but
not a overly painful startup process either.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated